Bake off is BACK which can only mean one thing...#D&Ddoesbakeoff is making a comeback and we're so darn excited we're struggling to contain ourselves! We don't want to end up with a soggy bottom...
Anyways😳every week we'll be tuning in and bringing you some epic bakes by the best foodies in town😎
So to kick it all off we've teamed up with the oh-so flexible (she's a yoga teacher😆) Sal Bower aka @lifeinlotus who's made this epic BEETROOT AND CHOCOLATE LOAF for CAKE WEEK🍰
Sal's instagram is a shrine of deliciously pretty bowl food, fruity concoctions and yummy sweet treats so head over there for some fresh foodie #inspo!
This recipe is light, chocolatey and covered in buttercream...what's not to love?💗 There's even a smidge of beetroot in there for some #health👍
BEETROOT AND CHOCOLATE CAKE
For the cake:
75g Doisy & Dam Date and Himalayan Pink Salt, melted
200g Plain Flour
100g Cacao Powder
1tsp Vanilla Essence
150ml Melted Coconut Oil
250g Caster Sugar
For the buttercream:
140g Softened, Unsalted Butter
280g Icing Sugar
1-2 tbsp of Beetroot Juice (just use the juice that comes in vacuum packed beetroot)
1. Preheat your oven to 170*C
2. Blend up your beetroot until a puree in a NutriBullet or food processor.
3. Sieve the flour and cacao powder in to a large bowl.
4. Melt the chocolate in a bowl above some simmering water. (keep stirring until completely melted to avoid any lumps and bumps!).
5. Stir the beetroot puree, melted chocolate, vanilla essence and sugar into the dry ingredients.
6. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating in between. If you are feeling lazy, an electric whisk works a treat! But if you need the workout, get your guns involved with a hand whisk!
7. Slowly add the melted coconut oil while beating.
8. Pour the mixture in to a lined and greased loaf tin (leaving some around the edges of the bowl for licking later!).
9. Bake in the oven on a low shelf for 1 hour, or until you insert a sharp knife to the middle and it comes out NEARLY clean (that way you get a nice moist cake!).
10. Leave to cool in the tin.
11. To make the buttercream, blend butter and icing sugar until resembles stiff buttercream
12. Add beetroot juice to desired colour and consistency. Once the cake has completely cooled, top with beetroot buttercream!
FOR THE FINISHING TOUCH
- Melt a little more Doisy & Dam chocolate and drizzle over the buttercream.
- Crush some strawberry meringues and sprinkle on top.
SERVE AND ENJOY!