This Vegan Chocolate & Strawberry Semi Freddo is all sorts of perfect for a top notch pud after a bit of al fresco dining. Ah we LOVE Summer!
This recipe comes from the totally badass Sam Hadadi– a home cook, busy mama, recipe developer, health and fitness journalist, and blogger (as well as being a professional nut butter addict). Attempting (and succeeding) to make healthy eating fun, using whole, natural and unrefined ingredients that nourish your body as she goes. Her instagram is a food porn fantasy and her blog is pretty great too.
2 tins full-fat coconut milk
2 cups cashews, soaked 4-6 hours in water and patted dry
1 1/2 large, ripe avocados, pitted
1/2 cup (or more) coconut nectar, date syrup or maple syrup
200g Doisy and Dam dark chocolate, melted (I used maca, vanilla and cacao nibs)
1/4 cup cacao paste OR coconut oil
1 tbsp agar powder
400g strawberries, hulled and finely chopped
2 tsp vanilla paste
Large pinch salt
For the strawberry sauce:
200g strawberries, hulled and sliced
1-2 tbsp maple syrup
1-2 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla paste
200g strawberries, sliced
1) Place the coconut milk in a saucepan and heat until warm. Add the agar agar and whisk. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for a
few minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
2) Start by gently melting your dark chocolate together with the cacao paste in a bain marie, stirring constantly until smooth. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for five minutes.
3) Place all ingredients for the semi freddo - apart from the strawberries - into a blender and blitz until completely smooth. Pour into a large silicone mould (we used a bundt mould) and place in the freezer to firm up overnight.
4) Remove your cake at least 20 minutes before serving to allow it to defrost (I allowed for extra time to let it become creamy). While you’re waiting for it to defrost, make your strawberry sauce by blitzing together all ingredients, adding more water if needed to thin.
5) Spoon over the sauce, then scatter over the remaining strawberries and serve in slices. Store in the freezer.
Let us know how you get on & check out our delish chocolate here!