It's the last week of Bake Off *Sob*. We've LOVED this years 'D&D does GBBO' and what better way to go out with a bang than glittery, indulgently moist Chococlate Courgette cake with Chocolate icing.
Our star baker this week is Nina Zenovya aka @thefullfatchef
Nina is a half Indian, part Ukranian, mostly British Londoner extolling the virtues of full fat, unprocessed food which nourishes the soul. If you're lucky enough you might find yourself at one of Nina's Supper Clubs or at an event she's executed... paying special attention to the food of course.
Enjoy this bake! It is totally, utterly DELISH.
Makes 1 x 8 inch single tier cake
275g Self raising flour
60g cocoa powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
200g unsalted butter at room temperature
175g golden caster sugar
3 medium eggs
125ml full fat natural yoghurt
75g Doisy & Dam date and himalayan salt milk chocolate
200g coarsely grated courgettes
For the icing
200g Doisy & Dam dark chocolate of your choice (I used rice and salt)
100g double cream
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan) mark 4. Grease and line a 20.5cm (8in) round cake tin with baking parchment.
- Into a large bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a handheld electric whisk, beat the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then slowly beat in the eggs.
- Beat in the remaining flour mixture and yogurt, bit by bit, until combined. Carefully fold in the grated courgettes and chunks of Doisy & Dam chocolate.
- Scrape mixture into the tin, level and bake for approximately 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in tin for 10min, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- A little later, bring the cream to a boil in a separate pan. Break the Doisy & Dam dark chocolate into anotherr bowl and pour over the hot cream. Stir until combined, allow to cool slightly then spread evenly on chocolate cake.