This shortbread is INSANELY good. It's my go to recipe and so simple. it's also my grannies fave ;)
Perfect for a Valentines treat too.
200g plain flour
150g slightly slated room temperature butter, cut in to pieces (can use a vegan spread instead)
75g golden caster sugar
Zest of a large orange
50g D&D of your choice, we used Maca, Vanilla and Cacao Nibs
- You can play around with the inclusions here; I sometimes do lemon and pistachio, or you can add choc chips, whatever tickles your fancy.
Pre-heat oven to 150C for the nuts and then if using a fan over turn down to 130C
1. Roast hazelnuts for 10 minutes so you can remove their skins (do this by putting them in a tea towel and rubbing them together). Chop roughly and set aside.
2. Bung flour and chopped up butter in a bowl turn into fine crumbs. You can use your fingers or a food processor (i'm lazy so used a food processor).
3. Once you have crumbs, add in orange zest and sugar and mix until you see the crumbs start to come together.
4. Add chopped nuts and keep on going until you have a ball of dough. This can take what seems like forever but don't give up! It will happen and it means you'll have a dreamy crumbly shortbread.
5. Roll out on to a floured surface, about 1cm thickness, and cut how you want. We used a heart shaped mould as we are feeling all lovey dovey for Valentines.
6. Place on lined baking sheet and bake for 30-35 mins