It's our first recipe of 2018 so we had to bring our A game. @sweetbakingwell aka Hayeon has made these totally delish banana brownie cake bites which also just happen to be vegan for all those nailing Veganuary out there.
Hayeon makes all sorts of awesome recipes to suit all dietary needs and takes very pretty pictures. Check out her blog
Vegan Chocolate Banana Cake
2 medium ripe bananas
1/2-3/4 cup coconut sugar (depending on how sweet you like yours)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon juice/white vinegar
1/2 cup applesauce
1/3 cup water
1 cup spelt flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup raw cacao powder
2/3 cup chopped dark choc (our Goji & Orange is particularly delish here)
- In a large bowl mash the bananas together with the sugar, applesauce, water, vanilla and lemon juice.
- Sieve in all the dry ingredients, excluding the chocolate, and mix until just combined. Then fold in a 1/3 cup of your chocolate. (I think adding some chopped walnuts would be a great addition!)
- Spread evenly into a slightly greased 8 inch baking tin and scatter the remaining chocolate on top. Bake at 175C for 33-37 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes before placing onto a wire rack.
- If you want to you can always pour some dairy-free ganache like I have (replace the cream with coconut cream/milk and use vegan dark chocolate) on top, but if not just slice up into equal squares (the amount depends on how generous you want to be with your slices!) and serve either slightly warm when the chocolate is still melted or when cooled completely!