Coffee Chocolate Doughnuts
For the doughnuts
• 340g Gluten-Free self-raising flour
• 100g caster sugar
• 100g brown sugar
• 15g cocoa powder
• 1tsp baking powder
• 1/2tsp sea salt
• 240ml almond milk
• 32g coffee (brewed)
• 60g vegetable-neutral oil (i.e., sunfloweroil)
• 3tsp apple cider vinegar
• 1tsp vanilla extract
For the icing
• 360g powdered icing sugar (add more if the icingappears too thin).
• 4-5tbsp brewed coffee (add more if the icingappears too thick)
• 1tsp maple syrup
For the decorations
• 1 x 80g bar Doisy & Dam dark chocolate(melted, for drizzling)
• Doisy & Dam chocolate truffles
• Chopped hazelnuts
• Gold glitter spray (optional but makes allthe difference)
It's a weekend afternoon. You reach for a snack, and you realise you're all out. What's a hungry person to do? Why whip up a batch of chocolate doughnuts of course! This moreish snack-tastic vegan recipe is brought to you from baking whizz Zoe via Pies and Tacos, and features chocolate, coffee and truffles. In short: a real treat.
Makes 12 doughnuts, and takes around 45 mins.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180°C and lightly grease two doughnut pans.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the milk, coffee, vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract and whisk together.
- Add the sugar and whisk to combine.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder, and whisk until smooth. The mixture should be smooth and more pourable than scoopable.
- Divide the batter evenly between doughnuts, filling all the way full. You can either do this with a spoon or a piping bag – although the latter is far less messy!
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the doughnuts from the oven and let them cool before removing them from the doughnut tin.
For the glaze:
- Once cooled, dunk each doughnut into the glaze (this can get quite messy!).
- Allow the doughnuts to sit for 10-12 minutes or until the glaze has set, then top with whatever toppings you desire.