Rainbow Vegan Brownies
2 tbsp ground flaxseed
6 tbsp water
200g vegan chocolate (8 oz) - such as our Vanilla and Cacao Nib bars
200g sugar (1 cup plus 2 tbsp)
115g vegan butter (½ cup), melted
2 tsp vanilla extract
100g plain flour (¾ cup plus 2 tbsp)
30g cocoa powder (¼ cup)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
½ sharing bag of Doisy & Dam D&Ds and extra melted chocolate to decorate
Brownies. So good you'll need one for each hand. Made of chocolate and decorated with chocolate, plus bright enough to lighten the greyest of days, these squidgey treats are a yes from us. Get in. Made by our pal @thehecticvegan.
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Line an 8-inch square baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Make the flax egg: with a fork, mix the ground flaxseeds with the water in a small bowl, and set aside for at least 10 mins to gel.
- Chop the chocolate into ½-inch (1 ¼ cm) chunks. Melt half in a microwave (heat in 15 sec bursts, stirring between, until melted).
- In a medium bowl, mix the sugar and vegan butter with a whisk. Then add the flax eggs, melted chocolate, and vanilla, and whisk until well-combined.
- Into the bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder, and fold with a spatula until combined (don’t overmix!). Then add in the left over chocolate pieces and mix.
- Pour the mix into the baking tray and smooth out.
- Bake for 30-35 mins, until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Cool for at least 30 mins before decorating with extra melted chocolate and the Doisy & Dam D&Ds.